How To Write More Interesting Sentences
What is an interesting sentence?
There are lots of elements that can make a sentence interesting. This can range from the type of sentence written (simple, compound or complex), to the type of words used within a sentence.
In this article, we will cover types of words a child can use to make a sentence interesting.
An interesting sentence can include:
a naming word (noun) e.g. cat, house, bed
- a doing word (verb) e.g. run, talk, eat
a describing word (adjective) e.g. huge, green, polite
a word that describes a verb (adverb) e.g. quickly, slowly, happily)
5 Activities To Help Your Child Write Interesting Sentences.
- Write some simple sentences, ask your child to make it more interesting by adding a verb, adjective or adverb to it. Extend this activity by asking them to choose a colour for each word type e.g.. adjectives = red, then underline the different word types using the appropriate colour.
- Use stickers e.g. of a flower, favourite character, car, animals etc. Stick the sticker on a piece of paper and ask your child to describe or list what is on the sticker using adjectives e.g.. a lion sticker – fierce, yellow, angry, big. Now ask them to say or list verbs e.g.. a lion – runs, eats, catches etc. You could ask your child to write some simple sentences instead of a list.
- Ask your child to draw a picture of something that interests them. Ask them to tell you or describe the picture to you. You are not allowed to look at the picture, you have to guess what is in the picture or try and re-create the picture on your own paper. Alternatively, take it in turns to choose a fruit, vegetable or animal, try and describe it to the other person. Can they guess what it is?
- Encourage your child to use a Thesaurus. Give your child some words to find, can they find other, more interesting words. List the new words to create their own thesaurus.
Take a look at our Writing Better Sentences Booster Pack 2 and Grammar Packs which you can purchase from the shop.
Teach My Kids - Activities For Children:
Read a well known story or your child’s favourite story to them. After reading through it once, as them if they can find 5 nouns, 5 adjectives, 5 verbs and 5 adverbs within the text. You can change the number of adjectives etc to find, depending on the story and the child's age.
Why not join Teach My Kids? Get access to targeted worksheets for you child's year group in Maths and English. Use Teach My Kids literacy worksheets to improve your child's writing. Give your kids a helping hand today.
Subscribe to Teach My Kids to gain access to sentence structure worksheets, plus Maths and English Worksheets covering a wide range of topics.
You might also like to read:
Don't take our word for it...
"Amazing site just renewed my subscription for the second year. This site is well structured and has helped to assure me that the work we do at home co-ordinates and strengthens the work done at school."
"Teach My Kids is a fantastic resource. We use the work sheets to reinforce the Maths and English that our children, James 9 and Katie 8, are learning at school. They are ideal for when we have a spare 10 – 15 minutes, and also give us as parents the opportunity to see how much our kids know!
As and when the work sheets are completed, I log in and tick them as completed, so it’s clear which topics have been covered. I try to do 2 - 4 of worksheets a week and feel that they are of great benefit to both our children.
I would definitely recommend ‘Teach My Kids’, it’s fantastic value for money and if you have any questions or queries these are answered promptly."
"I have found the ‘Teach my Kids’ website to be very helpful and informative. The worksheets met my children’s individual needs at a time when I was struggling with ways in which to support them. They were very easy to follow have made a real impact on their confidence in Maths and English.
The website is clear and well thought out and easy for anyone to follow. Any queries are responded to promptly. A great website for parents!"
"Teach My Kids has all the ingredients of the National Curriculum and above all good lesson planning. Such an excellent tool for parents and children. The worksheets are attractive and easy to read and follow. Excellent lively illustrations. I am impressed by the rewards systems and learning path progress. The learning paths are well constructed and brilliant because all the children in the family can use it. Very useful advice to parents.
I would encouraged parents towards this user friendly and excellent web site."
"Teach my kids is a very valuable website! Great worksheets available that help me and my child on her sometimes confusing learning path. Fabulous helpful and friendly owners, would highly recommend!"
"I have been with Teach My Kids for a few months and can see an improvement in my daughter. The rewards have helped her stay focused."
All rights reserved © Teach My Kids 2023